Sunday, April 16, 2017

Happy Passover!

 

 

A gut pesach, a gut yom tov!

Better late than never, I always say!

Actually, the Stix family has been eating Passover matzo (among other things) this year, for the first time.

In the past, I’d often plan on buying Passover matzo, but couldn’t find any, or only did after I’d already hit my shopping weight limit (app. 60 pounds these days, but in earlier years, I went as high as 83 pounds).

However, about a week ago, when I was leaving the Supermarket formerly Known as Waldbaum’s, I saw a stack of five-pound boxes Jehudah brand Passover matzos, which the sotre was offering for free, with a $25 purchase.

A worked told me I’d have to go back to the courtesy desk, where the clerk lamented, “They should be telling customers that at checkout.” She had me walk back to the stack with my receipt showing, but I didn’t have too much to carry, with the additional big box.

Once upon a time, I was the Jewish equivalent of a “cafeteria Catholic,” and Passover (“Pesach,” in Hebrew and Yiddish) was my big holiday. In recent years… not so much.

It all goes back to when The Boss was pregnant. She was willing to convert, but I couldn’t make up my mind. I didn’t want to go to the local Orthodox shul, because the candidate has to agree to keep all the commandments, which would have required that The Boss lie. The alternative was a Reform synagogue, but in those days, Reform Judaism was atheism plus matzo brei, and had largely been taken over by lesbians and Marxists.

While I froze in indecision, something stirred, and the next thing you knew, Dr. H. was forcibly evicting my very comfortable, future chief of research…. who remains without any religious identity, and who has no use for organized religion.

No comments: